Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Diversity in Non-Traditionals


I chose to share this picture with the readers of this blog because I feel it is a perfect representation of non-traditional students.

So often we stereotype people based on their economic class, gender, and race. However when it comes to being a non-traditional student, many of those stereotypes fall away. It them becomes much more clear that there is a large group of people working towards a similar goal, and each one of these people has a story.

Through my journey as a non-traditional student, I have learned a lot from my non-traditional peers. The picture above would look much different were it not for the diverse students in my classes, as well as the career-focused groups around me. My major, General Studies, consists primarily of non-traditional students. Having the opportunity to discuss and learn from each one of them has changed my perspective on my career, as well as my major.

Although there are many differences that make non-traditional students unique to their own story, they also hold many similarities. One of those similarities is a sense pride. I do not mean the pride that turns people away; I mean the kind that comes with the accomplishment of something someone has worked hard for. Being able to tell people what is involved in non-traditional students’ lives, and what it takes to keep everything moving forward is something to be proud of. Another shared trait among non-traditional students is hard work. Hard workers always come out on top. It takes a great deal of hard work and dedication to earn a degree as a non-traditional student.

This picture represents me, you, and every other non-traditional student in this world. With every ounce of diversity lays a similarity among all of us. We learn the most about ourselves and the world around is when those similarities are found.

No comments:

Post a Comment